14 July 2014

Question of the day


                                My Grandfather first came to mind when I saw this posted on a friend's Facebook page.
                                He and my mom were close; from him I would find out everything about how I came to be his grandson. There are questions my mother doesn't want to answer. Knowing what I know now, I know the questions I would like to ask him directly.
                                 During that hour I want to hear him telling me about how he came to love cooking, what were his favorite things to make, and to reminisce about how he'd take me along with him to meat markets, fish markets, and grocery stores to buy what was necessary for our holiday meals and how I'd help him cook everything.  My sister and I observed my mother respecting him, even when he was wrong, my mother always respected him. As a kid, I remember him not even allowing my mother to yell at my sister and myself in his presence, even when we were wrong. My mom and I talk about that now, from time to time, and I'd tease her by saying 'yes daddy',  when he'd stop her from yelling at us. He loved me and sister. I learned all about respecting my elders by watching my mother respect him. He raised her to respect people. After that, just hearing his voice, hearing him talk about life, love, self respect, living with the decisions you've made and serving others, would be enough.

May he rest in peace, until we meet again.

No comments: