20 August 2015

Dear Frankie

While flipping through the channels, I came across this movie on the Audience Channel, called Dear Frankie. It's a story about a single lonely woman who tries to spare her deaf son the truth about his abusive father by hiring a stranger to pretend to be him for one day.  It was late at night so  I only watched about 15 minutes of it. I did find it on Netflix, so I'll watch it this weekend.
The 15 minutes I did watch made me feel really emotional. The boy was so happy to spend a day with his 'father', and he asked his mother if he could see his 'father' the next day. The father, though initially reluctant, came to really like the role he was playing and wanted to see the boy again as well, but the mother was against it.
For about a minute I wished a stranger could have been paid to pretend to be my biological mother and father when I was growing up. I wish someone could have been paid to give me that father/son and mother/son relationship I so desperately needed when I was a child. Because I didn't know my childhood was unique, I didn't know any better, but now that I know, I'm thinking it would have been nice to feel loved, to be happy, to be a kid, when I was a kid instead of being forced to be the man of the house when I was 12.

 I have to end this blog post because I'm feeling emotional.

I look forward to watching the entire movie over the weekend.


No comments: