10 May 2017

a proverb

           Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
                            Proverbs 16 :24

           I loved words even when I was a little boy. I have to thank my speech pathologist, whom I saw from 1st grade through 12th grade. Because of the speech impediment I had, I hadly spoke to anyone, unless I had to. She saw in me, an interest in english and spelling.  She gave me my first books of poetry by Langston Hughes and Gwendolyn Brooks. She had lit that fire up under me.
          As a boy I represented Brooklyn in the New York State Spelling Bee, twice, and l lost both times. I can still remember the losing words. Pursue ( I spelled it persue) and Milieu (i spelled it millieu). Imagine having won the Brooklyn spelling bees with the words Phenolphthalein and Hexachlorophene and losing the New York State Spelling Bee with less difficult words. I guess I was too confident, a bit too complacent.
                 Just because something seems small doesn't mean it doesn't have the same power or ability or value of something large.
      

1 comment:

Val said...

Wow, I didn't know you were from N.Y.! I grew up in Queens!

That's pretty cool that you were in the New York State spelling bee.