22 October 2020

A New Path

So, 
my job ends next week, on the 29th. It was inevitable, and I have Covid 19 to thank for it. My company is reducing its staff by 8-15%. While some in my department and sales were let go on the 29th of September, I was given 30 days, which I appreciate because it's given me time to hurry up and either find something new or something else. 
On that date, I will be officially done with Insurance. That's right. I am done. I want nothing to do with the industry. Lots of my friends have taken multiple career paths in their attempt at finding something that 'clicks'; something that they can be proud of, something that makes them happy. 
I could never be proud of jacking up insurance rates for new group quotes or at renewal for people with serious medical conditions, in the hope that they would go else where since it's illegal to deny a quote. I remember, a few decades ago, when I was working in Madison, Wisconsin. An enrollee who insisted on finding my name and number anyway she could, called me, crying, because her employee fired her. Her son was a hemophiliac and incurred hundreds of thousands of dollars in prescription claims and the group's renewal rate almost doubled, and her family not being on the plan would cause a reduction in the renewal rates. She wasn't told that she was the reason for the substantial renewal increase but she suspected her son was the reason. I felt so bad but there was nothing I could say or do. That stuck with me. I think about that, every time I have to increase rates substantially at renewal time, or when I received a proposal for insurance and I either see a high claim or a medical condition with the potential for high, chronic claims. 

I'll be starting a Mortgage Underwriting job in a couple weeks. I'm glad that some companies agree with me that my skills are transferable to other kinds of jobs. I'm going to give this career path a try. In the meantime, I'll continue working on my side hustles (baking and writing). I'm not even worried.

I'm relieved. 

No comments: