15 April 2023

One thing about me

         I can shave my head and trim my beard myself, but there's something about going to the barber shop.



         Getting a haircut is a mundane task that most of us have to do from time to time. While some prefer to do it at home, others opt to visit a barber shop to get a more professional look. For me, however, it's not just about getting a haircut, but also about the experience of visiting a barber shop, being in the presence of other black people, and seeing fathers take their sons for a haircut. This site, for some reason, brings a smile to my face and fills me with joy.

        It's a beautiful thing to witness a father taking his son to get a haircut, especially in the African-American community. It's a tradition that dates back generations and is often seen as a rite of passage. It's a way for fathers to bond with their sons, pass down traditions, and teach them about the importance of grooming and self-care. It's also a way to show love and affection for their children. I don't remember my father ever having taken me to the barbershop, but I do remember being placed on the barber chair that kids sit on. I'm thinking that my mother or grandfather took me.  

        The act of getting a haircut can be seen as a form of self-expression, and visiting a barber shop can provide a sense of community and camaraderie. It's a place where men can gather, talk, and share stories while getting their hair cut. It's a space where they can feel comfortable and be themselves without fear of judgment. My barber and I talk about God, family,  The Milwaukee Bucks, his baby mama drama, and 80's R&B. And I look forward to my weekly appointments. 

        For me, the sight of black fathers taking their sons to the barber shop is more than just a haircut; it represents a bond between fathers and sons, a sense of community, and the passing down of traditions. It's a reminder of the importance of family, love, and self-care.

        While I may be able to shave my head and trim my beard at home, visiting a barber shop provides a unique experience that cannot be replicated. It's a place where memories are made, traditions are passed down, and bonds are strengthened.

I'm getting my beard cut in a few minutes, actually. 

         One of my favorite experiences recently, was when I was last in Toronto. My Godson wanted me to take him to the barbershop. His father takes him bi-weekly, but he wanted the barber to meet me. I can't even explain how good that felt. 


currently listening to You are my starship, by Norman Connors

No comments: