24 November 2012

Courage?

Friends are periodically connecting with me to talk about my trip to Paris, so I'll apologize in advance, for posting new insights from the experience for a time! Ok, my friend Luke was telling me today that it was pretty brave of me to go to Paris by myself. He sounded as if I had volunteered to join the army. I don't think courage had anything to do with it. I've always wanted to go. Of course, knowing that Paris is a romantic city, I thought about waiting until I got married, but I might never get married. I wanted to do something special for my 50th birthday; something different than meeting friends for happy hour, getting a bite to eat, baking my own birthday cake, and going home. I wanted to do something special for me since 50 came first. If love ever comes again, and by some miracle, marriage follows, I'd be an excellent tour guide for the next time I go to Paris. I'd like to think of it as the first step in healing my soul. I'm planning another trip abroad for my next birthday. Perhaps The U.K. or Australia, or Vietnam. or even Tokyo.

1 comment:

Reggie said...

Bravo to you for doing you. So often we don't, we yield to conformity and the norm.

January 1st 2013 will be my older brother's 50th birthday. I keep trying to come up with ideas for a unique gift for him. I know it won't be a trip to Paris....he wouldn't go anyway.

I'm leaning towards a 50 year old bottle of scotch.