19 May 2020

Darren Aronofsky

I just got done watching this movie called 'Mother!'  It was completely bizarre and so over-the-top in it's horrific-ness that I didn't know if I should laugh or not, and so while watching the movie, I had to find the name of the director. Darren Aronofsky. I also discovered that he also directed one of my favorite movies The Fountain.  I decided I wanted to watch more of his movies.
And when I decided I wanted to watch more of his movies, I found a quote of his that bothered me; "Casting ethnic characters is a very hard thing to do, but it's important. It's also interesting."
Why would casting ethnic characters be a very hard thing to do?
Then I read articles about his unwillingness to cast non-white people in his movies, namely the movie Noah.  In his defense of his having an all-white cast for a movie about Noah and the Ark ( whom everyone knows is based in the Middle East) he said, "From the beginning, we were concerned about casting, the issue of race. What we realized is that this story is functioning at the level of myth, and as a mythical story, the race of the individuals doesn't matter." 
And so, if race doesn't matter, then default is white? 
This is why, in all the short stories I write, I give people of color a voice. About 99% of my characters are Black, and those that are not Black are Latino, Asian, Arabic or Persian.
I watched the entire movie Mother! but I won't be recommending it, or any movie Darren Aronofsky directed.



No comments: