19 May 2020

My friend Lawrence

I haven't heard from a friend in a while, and he hadn't responded to texts I had sent over the past month, so I called, and I got his voicemail. He had been on my mind for the past week, so I decided I would text his mom 2 days ago. She called me this morning, crying. She hadn't heard from him either but since they weren't close she just thought he was avoiding her. She said she had contacted all her kids, and no one had heard from him. She asked her daughter, who lives in the same city as he (Indianapolis)- to pay him a visit. There was an eviction notice on the door. She contacted his landlord and discovered he hadn't paid his rent for 2 months.


The landlord used his key to open the door and my friend Lawrence was found, dead on his sofa. He had drank himself to death. He had been dead for at least 6 weeks


and no one knew.


no one knew to check in on him, a friend, a brother, a son.


no one knew.



No comments: