06 January 2010

My perspective

It’s interesting how two different people can see the same thing, and come away with completely different reactions It’s easy to say that it’s based on our experiences, and what we’ve been accustomed to. To me though, what’s right is right, and what’s wrong is wrong. It can be very frustrating.


"In calceis meis mille passus tibi ambulandum est" is Latin for “you should walk a mile in my shoes.” I consider that everytime, in my opinion, someone either misinterprets what I say, fails to see the gravity of a situation or circumstance, or somehow overlooks something that’s staring them right in the face.

Last night, it was raining, and was headed toward Borders Books. I was about 10 feet away from the door and I noticed an elderly lady about 7 feet away. I opened the door for the lady, and I stood and waited for her to enter before myself. She smiled and said ‘thank you sir, that was nice of you.’
Right behind me, entered another caucasian woman, probably in her 40s and she says to me, “Your mom obviously raised you right. What a good boy you are.” She looked like she was about to pat me on the head like I was a dog. I didn’t have the most appropriate response so I just walked away in the store.
Yes I was offended. I mentioned this to 3 different people. Two Caucasians, and 1 black person, a male. The black male was the only one who found the woman’s ‘boy’ comment offensive. My caucasian friends didn’t see the offense at all. They didn’t bat an eyelash.
I'm over it now, but was wondering.. was I right in being offended?

No comments: