04 September 2010

BS Detector

I love technology. I love how it helps you to do things faster. I love how it helps you to do what might normally take 5 people to do. I love how it helps you to be more effective at your job and reminds you to do things that are important. I have my Microsoft Outlook set up at work to let me know when the emails I send to people actually arrive to their in-box and when or if they are opened. That way, someone can never tell me they didn't receive an email from me if I know when it enters their in-box.

It also lets me know if emails I've sent have been deleted without being read.


3 months ago my friend Taylor invited me to a house-warming party where I met a woman named Adina. I thought we clicked well. We talked to each other the whole night. We seemed to have alot in common. Everytime we lingered elsewhere to talk to other people, we always seemed to gravitate right back towards each other. We talked and laughed and exchanged numbers and email addresses and even made plans to meet up the following weekend. We were the last 2 people at the party before Taylor hinted that we should leave. Adina said she was traveling out of town early in the morning and would be back Sunday night, so we said our goodbyes at her car door when she drove away.
The monday after after the party, I called the number she gave me and I got the following message
This is not a working number. Please hang up and try your call again.
I called the number again and got the same message.

Then I emailed her, telling her it was nice meeting her, and that I was looking forward to seeing her on saturday.

Your message was deleted without being read on Monday, April 05 2010 11:03:10 AM

I wanted to assume it was an accident, but I didn't want to appear too eager and so I waited until Thursday to re-send the message to confirm I would see her.
This time Microsoft Outlook informed me that she opened it and deleted it five minutes later.
That was 4 months ago. I had forgotten all about it.
Tonight I was at a dinner party with another set of friends. I was introduced to guess who?
Adina. Some guy had returned with two glasses of wine. He handed one to her.
Adina: Oh my God, Alieux, you know Claire?
Me: yeah, I do.
Adina: Small world! She's my sister!
Me: (I didn't even respond)
Adina: Long time no see. How have you been?
Me: I've been good.
Adina: I thought about you. We were supposed to hang out sometime. Why didn't we?
Me:You gave me a wrong number.
Adina: (looking dumbfounded) I did. Are you serious?
Me: You know you did. It wasn't even a working number.
Adina: What number did I give you?
Me: I don't know now. I threw it away. It was 4 months ago. I called the number twice and got the same message.
Adina: Maybe I transposed a number by accident.
Me: Yeah, uh huh. I emailed you that following Monday after your trip.
Adina: You did? I didn't get an email.
Me: You deleted it without reading it.
Adina: I get tons of spam, and sometimes I delete stuff I don't mean to delete.
Me: I had sent you another email that following Thursday. You opened it, and five minutes later you deleted that one as well. Oh, and by the way, Taylor said the number you gave me was no where similar to the number she has for you.

If  Adina was white, she would have been red in the face. She looked at me, opening her mouth as if to speak but no words came out, so she closed it. She knew she was caught. She was probably surprised that I let her know she was a liar rather than to just think so.
I was going to add something else but I thought that what I said was sufficient.
The guy she was with, was obviously upset about it too. I figured she must have met him at the party and he didn't want to waste time with someone who might give him false contact information at the end as well. He walked away from her, shaking her head, as I stood there, looking at her, glad to able to confront her after all this time.




5 comments:

Gorgeous_Puddin said...

Being that I hate liars and I hate being lied to that was absolutely AWESOME!

Daij said...

Thank you!

Casey J Flynn said...

That is awesome. I mean….sad, but awesome.

Val said...

Wow! What an incredible turn of events to meet up with her again and totally bust her! Good for you.

Midwesternstock © said...

Accountability, Respect, Integrity..... some just don't have it.