14 February 2011

...and the best new artist is...

 beating out  Mumford & Sons, Florence & The Machine, Drake and perhaps the most pop of pop sensations, Justin Bieber, is my favorite, Portland native, jazz artist Esperanza Spalding!!  She is the first jazz artist to ever win a grammy for best new artist. Sometimes substance does win over flashiness.
 After she won, Bieber fans went on an Internet rampage, attacking her Wikipedia page, adding insults, taunts and pro-Bieber messages after the page listed her as "Best New Artist" winner. By this morning, the page had been scrubbed clean of insults.




"I certainly did not expect to even be considered for that type of nomination," Spalding told Entertainment Weekly. "Me being a little old jazz musician and everything."

But who is she?
The Portland, Oregon-born multilingual singer and upright bass player released her first record, Junjo, in 2006. She followed it up with Esperanza, in 2008, and made major waves in the jazz world. She appeared on the Late Show with David Letterman and Jimmy Kimmel Live, and President Obama invited her to perform at the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize Concert. In 2010, she released Chamber Music Society, which garnered her the "Best New Artist" nomination.


I have to admit to not having heard of her until Prince chose her to be part of BET's tribute to him. On her upright bass she did her rendition of " If I Was Your Girlfriend,"   her version of which has been in heavy rotation for me for a while. Ater researching her music on youtube and her history on wikipedia, I bought all of her music. I love every cd.
 Besides, being that I'm a huge Prince fan, any artist he likes, I tend to like as well.
Here's a listen