25 February 2013

Only what is necessary



        I used to be someone else. I used to be the person who forced people to say hello or good morning just by my being the first to say it. I also used to be nice, and smile and laugh when they say something that's meant to be funny.  But now I'm a different person.  I now walk past those same people and treat them like they're invisible because if I don't speak, they will walk past me a dozen times a day as normal, and not even look in my direction. If I have to speak to them I will be polite and professional. I will be as concise as I can, with as few words as possible. I will only say what is necessary, nothing more. And I will not crack a smile or giggle if they try to say something to ease the tension they've caused. I'm a different person. They've made me a different person.

Anne Rice was quoted as saying "None of us really change over time. We only become more fully who we already are."  I disagree. Anne Rice hasn't met me.  I'm naturally a nice person, to everyone, but not everyone appreciates it. Being nice should make you feel entitled to being treated as nicely in return, and if that doesn't happen, well--

The end.
 

2 comments:

Reggie said...

I don't know, I think all people are capable of change. They've just got to want to change.

Let me ask you this, do you like the person you've become?!?

Daij said...

I agree with you. I love the person I am.