22 August 2013

Are you a forgiving person?

Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs.
 
-- Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre
 
I used to hold grudges. I used to walk around ignoring the existence of people who had done me wrong even if they asked for forgiveness. It was like putting on a 10-lb backpack every time I saw them. Then one day I did something I shouldn’t have done and I really hurt someone’s feelings. I had begged her for forgiveness and while doing so, I realized I was asking to receive what I wasn’t willing to give. In doing so, I went immediately to the person with whom I was holding grudges- and I forgave them. 
Today, when someone has done me wrong, I automatically forgive them. They do have to ask for forgiveness before I let them know I’ve forgiven them though, but once they ask, they’ll know I’ve forgiven them.
 
What say you?

No comments: