27 September 2011

A learned man was once asked to quote the most meaningful verse that he'd found in the entire Bible. He thought for a moment then replied, "And it came to pass."

Those who heard his reply were startled. Other learned men in history had been asked this same question and had picked verses like, "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself" or "Have we not all one Father?" Why did you choose such a simple statement like, "And it came to pass"? asked one of his friends.
"I chose it," answered the learned man, "because whenever sadness enters my life, I think of this phrase, and it helps me. It encourages me to believe that my trouble came only to pass; it didn't come to stay. And this gives me hope to carry on. It helps me take the bad in life with the good. It helps me pick out the good parts of life and enjoy them even when I'm surrounded by sorrow. I know that the sorrow came, but I also know that it will pass, and that I will still be here then, and must continue to live." ~ Author unknown

2 comments:

Don said...

Love this. Very significant and meaningful.

Thanks for sharing.

Daij said...

@ Don, thanks