11 September 2011

September 11, 2001

Our lives have changed forever 10 years ago today. 9 11 was a defining moment for all New Yorkers and all Americans, and it is far above my power to say anything that can accurately encompass the events of that day. I did live in Dc during that time. This post is in memory of those lost and of lives changed.

I lived in Md and worked in Dc at the time. I went to get coffee and my secretary told me a plane hit the Tower. We assumed it was a plane crash. When I returned to my office I was told the second tower was hit. Then shortly afterwards I discovered the Pentagon was hit. Then our boss assembled us together to talk about the terrorist attack and asked if we wanted to go home we could. The streets were packed with people running every which way and pilling onto busses and the trains to get to schools to get their kids, their spouses, etc as there were helicopters and low-flying jets above us. It was very surreal for me. It usually took me 30 minutes to get home. That day it took me 3 hours. My gym was 3 blocks away from the Pentagon. I remember being told that day that people were jumping out of the windows of the Twin Towers and I couldn't believe it at first. I finally got home. My girlfriend beat me home. I hugged her, hugged my kitties, I called my mom to tell her we were okay, and we got on our knees and prayed.

What were you doing when you heard about the Twin Tower attacks in lower Manhattan? What do you remember about the days and weeks after?

3 comments:

Reggie said...

I lived in Bloomfield, NJ on September 11th 2001. I was at work that day, like so many other people. I watched the events unfold on televisions that were used to train and in one of our technical labs.

People that I worked with lost loved ones. From where I lived, I watched the smoke of the Trade Center for weeks. I don't think that people realize just how long that building burned.

I remember being disgusted and angry all at the same time.

Daij said...

i still am angry and disgusted about it

Reggie said...

I consider myself a patriotic American and while I'm still angry and disgusted about what happened......and then happened afterwards when this country was highjacked by stupidity and spent ourselves to ruin. I want to remember how I felt that day for the rest of my life.

I may not always agree with what we do, but I love my country dearly.