23 September 2011

RIP VESTA WILLIAMS

Singer Vesta Williams has passed away at the age of 48. There aren’t many details at this time but a source says her body was found in a Los Angeles hotel room!

The cause of death is still unknown. Although Williams never had any albums certified gold and never had any Top 40 hits on the Billboard Hot 100, she scored seven Top 20 R&B hits from the mid-1980s to the early 1990s.
In the 1990s, Williams made headlines for her dramatic weight loss. She told Ebony that she began gaining weight rapidly after her singing career started to falter. Vesta, who was 5-foot-3, eventually reached a size 26. She said her size was the reason she lost her recording contract.

"When I lost my record deal and my phone wasn’t ringing, I realized that I had to reassess who Vesta was and figure out what was going wrong,” she said. “I knew it wasn’t my singing ability. So it had to be that I was expendable because I didn’t have the right look.”
The singer went on to lose 100 lbs, and got down down to a size 6, while finding something of a second career as a songwriter and session singer. In recent years, Vesta had become an advocate for the prevention of childhood obesity and juvenile diabetes. Let’s keep her family in our prayers.
---couresty blackmediascoop.com

2 comments:

Don said...

I remember Vesta, she recorded Congratulations, a timeless song.

Rest In Peace.

Reggie said...

Wow I hadn't heard. She was far too young and talented. She had an awesome voice.