16 March 2012

Colossians 3:22




An atheist group put up this billboard in a racially diverse neighborhood in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, angering Civil Rights activists who called for its removal:
The atheists behind the sign said they were trying to draw attention to the state House’s recent designation of 2012 as “The Year of the Bible” — an action by lawmakers that the atheists have called offensive.
But there were concerns that erecting such a billboard is playing with fire.
“If this had been Detroit, there would have been a riot,” said Aaron Selvey of Harrisburg, who visited the billboard site last Wednesday (March 7), the day after the sign was put up and later torn down.
“We don’t want things to escalate into violence or community tension, so we try to address situations like that right away,” added Shannon Powers, spokeswoman for the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission. “We would not recommend tearing down because it could lead to escalation. It hasn’t, and we’re tremendously thankful for that.”
The billboard was quickly replaced with an ad for the Harrisburg Symphony Orchestra.


What do you think of the billboard?






3 comments:

EarthAngel172 said...

Offensive, highly offensive. As a Christian and a black woman, I have a hard time dealing with people who take Scripture out of context to prove a point. That includes the "conservative" Tea Party members and the atheist groups. I'm glad the sign has been replaced though. Thanks for keeping us informed Daij.

Reggie said...

It is what it is. That's what the Bible says. That passage and a few others were used by slave masters "after introducing their slaves to Christianity to beat the heathen out of them", to subjegate and get many of them to basically work themselves to death. Those words were used to justify the rape of our women for so many years.

Dude.......it is what it is.

Daij said...

Hey Je Taime, and Reggie, I know this verse was taken out of context. I read the entire book, and was not satisfied, so I asked my pastor over the weekend. I figured I would seek the advice of someone who has a PhD in religious studies, and yet I am not satisfied with his response. This really bothers me, as I'm not the type to cherry-pick certain verses. I want to agree with the book whole-heartedly, yet this bothers me. I have to ask other religious scholars. Not that I want them to tell me what I want to hear, but to be sure of Paul's intentions when he said what he said and if he had the backing of God.