22 March 2012

An Eliot Moment

 

And I will show you something different from either your shadow at morning striding behind you or your shadow at evening rising to meet you; I will show you fear in a handful of dust.

--T S Elliot




Please keep Travyon Martin's family and loved ones in your prayers.Our sons could be the next Travyon Martin. Our nephews could be the next Travyon Martin. Our friends' sons could be the next Travyon Martin. You could be the next Travyon Martin. On sunday morning I was followed by the cops for about 15 minutes in my car rental. They were driving around in my neighborhood at 730 in the morning and without provocation they approached me and asked to see my Drivers  License. They went back to their cop car and I had to wait for about 10 minutes before they approached with my Drivers License, and before I could ask why they stopped me, they said  I was free to go. 

I could be the next Travyon Martin.

All I'd have to do is leave my home and be black, which means  looking suspicious, angry, and confrontational. White people already accuse me of looking angry. Even when I'm in  a good mood.

2 comments:

Reggie said...

I am Travyon Martin, but the real truth is that we all are.

Daij said...

Yes, we all are. And it makes me feel vulnerable. I hate that feeling.