08 March 2012

Just a thought

This should come as no surprise to us that those that are selected to vote for the nominees of the Academy Awards, for the most part- are Caucasian. Only 2 % are Black, and less than 2 % are Latino. We tend to gravitate towards those to whom we can  relate. Some kids gew up listening to American Bandstand, and I grew up listening to Soul Train. I only watched American Bandstand when there was an R&B musical guest that I liked.  I remember, how, in the 90s I used to watch Martin, Living Single, and New York Undercover, while all my white friends watched Friends, Cheers, and Seinfeld. I thought Martin was funny as hell, and when I asked my white friends why they didn't watch it or any of the shows I watched, they all said they couldn't relate to them.  As a result, generally, white people will gravitate toward those movies and actors  that can speak to them. And the majority of them are the judges of the most coveted award given to actors/ directors, cinematographers, etc. 


During my lifetime, who has been deserving of an Academy Award  and has been ignored?
Cicely Tyson- The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman
Angela Bassett-What's Love Got to Do With It.
Diahann Carroll-Claudine
Diana Ross- Lady SingsThe Blues
Viola Davis-The Help,  and Doubt
Taraji P. Henson- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
James Earl Jones- Claudine
Whoopi Goldberg-The Color Purple
Angela Bassett-Waiting to Exhale
Sophie Okonedo -Hotel Rwanda
Adepero Oduye- Pariah
Kimberly Elise- in every single movie I have ever seen her in ( 'For Colored'Girls', 'Beloved', 'Diary of a Mad Black Woman' , 'Woman Thou Art Loosed.' Few people can pull off “downtrodden” like her.

Will Smith – Six Degrees of Separation, and The Pursuit of Happyness
Danny Glover - The Color Purple
Laurence Fishburne-What's Love Got to Do With It.
Samuel L Jackson- Do The Right Thing
Derek Luke- Antwone Fisher
Djimon Hounsou-Amistad
Michael Wright -The Five Heartbeats
Thandie Newton-Beloved
Ving Rhames  - Rosewood
Lynn Whitfield-  in any movie she has ever been in.



   Do you agree? Am I missing anyone?











4 comments:

Reggie said...

I've thought about this too occasionally, you're quite right my brother.

Daij said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Moanerplicity said...

Very good list. So many of our greatest performers ultimately get slept on come awards time.

I would also add: Juanita Moore from "An Imitation of Life" AND Alfre Woodard from "Cross Creek."

Both were nominated but didn't win.


Ruby Dee & Claudia McNeil from "A Raisin In The Sun" Powerful performances! Historic even.

Brock Peters in "L-Shaped Room"

A forgotten, almost thankless role that he brought to life so vividly.

Brock Peters again in "To Kill a Mockingbird." Nuff said.


One.

Daij said...

moanerplicity, dude you are so right! There are/were too many that have been slept on. How the hell could I have forgotten Juanita Moore? Imitation of Life is one of my favorite movies! And I love Ruby Dee as well, in every single role. Come to think of it, Phyllicia Rashad as well.