06 March 2012

Stupidity

 So,  about an hour ago I'm in the elevator at work heading down stairs, and a white guy and 2 white women get on at the 5th floor. The white guy looks at me like he knows me and smiles and says hi, and I say hi back. Then he says:

"Oh, I'm sorry, you look like Will."
In this building of maybe 1,000 people, there are about 7 black men. Before I could open my mouth, one of the women says :

"Will, you're in my Diversity meetings.We meet every tuesday afternoon on Diversity projects!"

My response:

"Will is about 6'3" and tall and lean,and light-complextioned and wears glasses. And in his 20s. I'm 5'8" and I'm not lean,I'm dark skinned and I don't wear glasses. And I'm in my 40s. We look as different as night and day. If you think we look alike, then I don't even know what to say."

They all gave me that blank look of awkwardness, like they couldn't wait to get to the first floor to get away from me since I embarrassed them. I'm sure the rest of the elevator ride was uncomfortable for them, but I didn't care.

The situation reminds me of an episode on Good Times where JJ was accused of robbery, as he fit the description of the criminal, but when the criminal was discovered, it was a young, very short,  fat black boy, and the cops told Florida and James "it was an honest error. Anyone would have made that mistake."

5 comments:

Felicia Monique said...

You are my best friend for life with that response. Good for you!

Daij said...

:) Thank you, Felicia !

Reggie said...

Thank you brother, now I know what to say the NEXT time this happens to me.

Daij said...

Thank you both Felicia and Reggie. I wanted them both to realize how stupid they were.

Daij said...

Thank you both Felicia and Reggie. I wanted them both to realize how stupid they were.