17 September 2012

On today

 in 1983,


Vanessa Williams was the first African American woman to be crowned Miss America.


1983

2012
Black don't crack.





also on today in 1970,

The Flip Wilson Show premiered on NBC. It was the first prime time variety show starring an African American male since the Nat King Cole Show.





and also, on today, in  1968,

Julia premiered on NBC with Diahann Carroll in the title role. It was the first modern television show to star an African American woman since Beulah in the 1950's.







2 comments:

Reggie said...

Up until I first laid eyes on Vanessa Williams I was sure that Jayne Kennedy was the most beautiful woman that I'd ever seen.

30 years later, Vanessa Williams is still gorgeous!!!

Daij said...

Great minds think alike. Hey Reggie, when I was a teen, one of my bedroom walls were covered with pics of Jayne Kennedy and Beverly Johnson. Oh, and Pam Grier. the other filled with my favorite singers Diana Ross, Minnie Riperton, Michael Jackson, Switch,