29 September 2012

* Oregon

5 years ago today, the moving truck left my beautiful, spacious 2-floor apartment with all my belongings, and I left the safety net of family and friends (and a culturally diverse environment) in Milwaukee Wisconsin to start a job in Beaverton Oregon ( suburb of Portland where I now work), the following Monday--

If I live to be 70 or older, God willing, in the list of places I will have lived, the state of Oregon will have been the most unique of places I will have ever lived. It's the most unique so far. I'm not talking about the climate. That wasn't a surprise. I'm not talking about my job. I love my job. God really blessed me in that area. 

I'm talking about the people. Not just the people I met when I moved here, but the people I knew in Oregon before I moved here. 
Yes, the asterisk is there in the title for a reason. 



4 comments:

Reggie said...

I've never been to Oregon, but I've been to Seattle and Washington state. Now that is a unique place. I think I saw more cows there than black people......I'm sure I did.

Daij said...

True dat.

Harriet Tubman once said "I freed a thousand slaves I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves.'

That's how I feel about the black folks here- most that I've met. They don't know they're black. If someone told them they were black they'd probably kill them selves.

Mel Kinnel (@TizMellyMel) said...

I've never been to Oregon either. I live on the east coast and have visited the west a few times. Once to Vegas and once to L.A.

I've always wondered how many black folks lived in places like Oregon. I guess not that many.

C.George said...

Let there be a Tyler Perry movie come here on opening weekend. You will see a theater filled with black people. Outside of movies and church, I wish I knew where they were hiding. You can also go to the mall and see tons of black kids loitering. So they're here. It's still surreal to me. My world, prior to my move here, was about 90% black.