21 September 2009

Sankofa


“Return and get it.”


I have four tattoos. Each tattoo I have has been carefully and thoroughly thought out; when I arrive at the design I want, I wait for an entire year before I get it. If the year has passed and I still want it, then I’m pretty sure I’ve made the right decision because I wouldn’t want to get a tattoo today and regret it tomorrow or next week.

This symbol above is a Sankofa from Ghana. It symbolizes one taking from the past what is good and bringing it into the present in order to make positive progress through the benevolent use of knowledge. It was my first tattoo. I have it on my chest. I like it because of what it represents. Basically, if we don’t know the errors of our past, we are doomed to make the same errors over and over again. We need to know our history, our past, and learn from it.



“If you don’t know or remember that fire burns, you will get burned again.” Alexgeorge

No comments: