30 September 2009

Good things come to those who wait--



"The trees that are slow to grow bear the best fruit."
-- Moliere


When I saw this quote I immediately thought about how, when we're young, we lack patience. As babies we cried, and when our mothers weren't at our beck and call, we'd commence to screaming from the top of our lungs until our needs are met.  We wanted everything quicker than now. We wanted it yesterday. Patience is learned.

 Some of us, as adults are still learning; we’re still impatient.


I have a nephew, and when he was very young I couldn’t say no to him, and he knew it. As he got older I learned to say no when I needed to say no. I told him that in life, you may not get everything you want, or as soon as you want it, but that doesn’t mean that I didn’t love him or that I didn’t want him to have that for which he begged. Of course, he still got upset (and threw tantrums from time to time) as he was used to getting everything immediately. He had no idea if I was planning on buying that same item for an upcoming birthday, or if the company or their competitors were soon to release a better product that he would appreciate more.

I thought about it later on. I thought about how we always ask God for an immediate resolution to what we refer to as problems or issues. Then sometimes some of us get upset ( and throw grown-up versions of tantrums) when we don’t get the answer we need when we want it. To use the analogy above, just because He doesn’t give us the answer we need ‘yesterday’, doesn’t mean He doesn’t love us or that He doesn’t want us to have that for which we begged. I know from experience that God is either waiting for a better time to bless us, or He has something better for us. We just need to be patient, and good things will come to us.

No comments: