07 October 2009

Lost & found



I found a wallet once.


It was 1985. Fresh out of college, I was a temp at an insurance company in Madison Wisconsin. It was my last day at my assignment, and the temp agency didn’t have another job lined up for me. And I found a wallet in the bathroom. I counted a hundred, fifty, seventy, ninety, two hundred ten, thirty,fifty, sixty, seventy, eighty, three hundred dollars! I needed to pay my rent, but I said to God, “ you know I need this money, but I gotta do what's right.” I looked at the driver’s license and I found the owner of the wallet and I gave it to him. He saw that his three hundred dollars were still in his wallet.

It was my last day there, and I happened to look at an internal job posting on the bulletin board. I met all the qualifications for a particular customer service job that was posted, and though I was told that company employees would be considered for the job first, I applied for it anyway. Guess who was the supervisor?

The owner of the wallet.

I got the job, and not only did I not even have to interview for it, but he said that when he reviewed the applications, he saw my name and he didn’t interview anyone for the job. He told me that he knew all that he needed to know about me from my giving him his wallet with his money intact--

1 comment:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

'It was my last day there, and I happened to look at an internal job posting on the bulletin board. I met all the qualifications for a particular customer service job that was posted, and though I was told that company employees would be considered for the job first, I applied for it anyway. Guess who was the supervisor?

The owner of the wallet.

I got the job, and not only did I not even have to interview for it, but he said that when he reviewed the applications, he saw my name and he didn’t interview anyone for the job. He told me that he knew all that he needed to know about me from my giving him his wallet with his money intact--'

Now, that is a story. A cool true story.