23 October 2009

On October 23, 1911

Three organizations- the Committee for Improving the Industrial Conditions of Negroes in New York, the Committee on Urban Conditions and the National League for the Protection of Colored Women merged, under the leadership of Dr. George E. Hayne and Eugene Kinckle Jones, to form the National Urban League. Eugene Kinckle Jones was named executive secretary. Sixty Blacks reported lynched in 1911.

--courtesy  http://www.blackfacts.com/

I got my first after-school job through the National Urban League, in 1976, when I was 14. I worked in maintenance, cleaning bathrooms, picking up trash, sweeping and mopping floors, etc. My mom and I were grateful for the added income. I could buy my own clothes for school, and the 10-speed bike I had my eye on for a while, and bought (but never got the chance to ride because a drunk driver hit my sister while she was riding it, breaking her leg and destroying the bike)

No comments: