07 April 2010

Ex Factor

So, she calls me and says she’s flying in to Portland this weekend, and that this time she won’t have a black eye, and I add, “and no busted lip? And bruises on your body?”

She laughs, and says the days of her dating abusive men are over, and that she finally found one that doesn’t believe in keeping her in her place. And I say, “but didn’t you say about Al-Farzahad?”
She laughs, agreeing with me and she says she’s wise this time, and more willing to leave after the first sign of abuse. And I say, “but didn’t you say that about Ibrahim, before him? And Sanchez before Ibrahim, and what’s-his-name Madu before Sanchez? Your brothers even recommended what they called your punishment.”
Agreeing with me, she says this time it will be different. And I finally tell her to please stop calling me and visiting me to seek my opinion about some new man in her life and to stop calling me after each new one has (and will) beat her up: that my home is not the home for battered women, and I can’t move on if she keeps coming back.
She agrees with me, says my comments were inevitable, that she’s been taking my kindness for granted, and that I’m the only guy that never mistreated or raised a hand to hit her, and that her girlfriends are tired of her drama. And she says, “If only you converted to Islam along with me.”

I hung the phone up without even responding.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drama is the word. I don’t understand the type of Muslim’s men that she is meeting. That is not my experience with the Muslim person/man.
She obviously hates herself and she would not put up with this abuse and the men that she is meeting know that she hates herself and have no self esteem.

She should know it is not the religion it is the jerks that she is meeting :(

Don said...

Too funny @ your hanging up the phone after her convert to Islam suggestion. I believe she is missing the point. It doesn't appear to be anything religious taking place during her fights with men, period. Maybe she will be able to look back and see where the true problem rested its head.


I wish her the best though.