04 April 2011

i found my smile again

A while ago,
Someone took it:
My  smile.  
It took forever to get it initially
And someone took it
Took possession of it
As if it didn’t belong to anyone.
But it was mine.
It wasn’t let out for someone to snatch.
It was mine.
Inside me.
locked up.
My name was on it
 like a tattoo
It was given to me.
but I let someone have the key
someone I thought
could be trusted
and now they’re gone
and so is my smile.
Now someone is walking around with it as if it’s theirs.
Frantically,
 I looked for it
And when the search proved futile
I gave up.
But I found a new one!
This new one,
It was in someone’s pocket, 
In the appearance of something else
--Of someone else.
disassembled
in little pieces
(t

                                                           hank
                     you
for taking the time
To help me put the pieces together                    )

No one’s getting the key this time. 

--alexgeorge