14 April 2011

A Note to Donnie, the Barber

Yo Donnie wassup??

I know I said I wanted dreadlocks
this time
(last time)
and I still do.
I want’em tight & neat
crowning the top
of my nappy head with frizzes at the ends,
and I want’em growing down my back
like Bob Marley’s, but this time
I can’t do it;
I gotta establish
myself again
as an intelligent educated black man
for an upcoming interview,
and I can’t give them any extra excuses
to prejudge me that they will already use,
despite my being more than qualified for the position.
so, cut it shorter this time, man.
Yo, Donnie, cut it real short and even.


But don’t cut any of the soul away. 

-- alexgeorge

2 comments:

25champ said...

Yeah I've had many ppl tell me to cut mine..I'm pretty good at selling myself so I never worried about not getting a job, but I do understand :)

Daij said...

Don't cut it, unless you want to cut it. i love dreads. I'm pretty sure that in my current job i can have dreads, but I'm so used to being clean shaven that I wouldn't be able to tolerate the length of time needed to grow my hair. I recently tried to grow it to get twisted locks, but after it got half an inch, I got impatient and cut it bald again!