06 July 2012

The Prayer of Mathematics

"Dear God,

         I'm not always a good judge of character. I try to see the good in people, and sometimes there is no goodness in them, but I will still look for it. Sometimes I think that people can't possibly mistreat people who treat them well, but I know that's me being naive. My mother raised me to believe in reaping and sowing, so being evil on indifferent in return is not in my DNA. Dear Lord,   please subtract from my life, people who don't mean me well, people who are anchors whose only purpose in life is to weigh me down, instigators, liars, hypocrites, fair-weather friends, users, those who call me friend but treat me like that friend of the family that always assumes he's invited and shows up to events, those who invite me to events only after everyone else has been invited and they made the mistake of mentioning the event to me, those who don't have the courage to tell me to leave them alone,   those who make me feel like I don't measure up to them, and people who will prevent me from being who and what You and I want me to be,  and, dear Lord,  please add to my life, the exact opposite, and that is, people who actually care about me, who want me to be happy and want me to do well on this journey  I call life. Amen "

This is my prayer every morning.    Interesting though; I try to be as cool as receptive and as funny and as sweet and as reliable as I can be, and sometimes I wonder why some friends automatically drop off, never to be heard from again. Sometimes I even call and text them, leaving messages, 'hoping that they're okay,' and they don't respond.

Then I realize, God is answering my prayer. He's filtering out all the anchors, all the albatrosses, all the fakers, all the  liars, the fair-weather friends, those that either don't mean me well or don't care about me. Like I asked.

2 comments:

Reggie said...

Of late I've been looking within quite a bit. It would do us all well to do so on a regular basis.

I haven't always been the man that I should be. But I will be better going forward. I talk to myself daily about this and I will strive to be a better man. I will look to the character of those I interact with, as well as hold myself accountable for my own.

Daij said...

I'm there with you, Reggie. I'm always trying to do a bit of soul searching