04 September 2013

Friends/familiar












 


I woke up about 20 minutes ago. I never wake up in the middle of the night unless I'm anxious about something, like before my birthday trip to Paris last November, when within two weeks of the trip, I hardly slept 4 hours a night. I've nothing to be anxious about now though.. I don't have any upcoming trips


I wasn't  in the mood to bake so I decided to get one of my novellas to edit, but I wasn't in the mood to do that either. And then some 'friends' came to mind. I used to use the term loosely like everyone else, but through experience, despite the fact that I know hundreds of people, Only 4 I can truly consider my friends. Those are people who have proven to be my friends.  

 I wish there was a name for the category of friend between those who have braved blizzard conditions  to pick me up  when my car  slid into a ditch and needed to be towed and triple AAA towed the car to a repair shop a mile away from my place  in Washington Dc but wouldn't drive me home/ and the friend who left me stranded outside the Greyhound Bus Terminal in Chicago after they closed for the night in the middle of February-because she decided at the last minute that she was tired from work and wasn't up for company despite my begging to let me sleep on the sofa because I didn't bring hotel money and she called a week later to ask me to help her move back to Madison and then my girlfriend at the time cussed her out for leaving me stranded and I never heard from that friend again.

I watched this parody on the youtube channel (Got 2B real)- reunion special and Patti Labelle said of Aretha Franklin, 

"No, we're not friends. We're just familiar."


That's an appropriate definition.  Familiar.

Anyway, after writing the following, I decided to attempt to try to go  back to sleep:
 
You’re not always around the people you need to be around. God will provide an inner-awareness to help you get away from them. Or to help them get away from you if you don't see the signs.







2 comments:

Don said...

Daij I believe I said awhile back that you are a good one. And you are, because the woman who left me at bus station after knowing that I needed her...mannnnn.

Let's just say the world isn't big enough for her to hide! That is insane. She agreed and became a no-show. That even bothers me just reading your words.

Familiar is good. But coward is much better. She is a coward.

Daij said...

You're right Don. If I saw her in Madison we would have had words. I was angry , but I never saw again after that. I crossed her off the list.