09 June 2023

My 2nd act

When I was younger, I excelled academically and had a particular talent for English, Science, History, and Voice. I was also quite confident in my math abilities, having passed all of the Algebra and Geometry courses in 7th grade. I aspired to become an Architect, having developed a fascination for historic buildings in Memphis, Chicago, Boston, and Minneapolis. I often daydreamed about designing my dream home and still have the first floor plan that I drew.

Understanding that I needed to have a strong math foundation to pursue Architecture, I consulted with my guidance counselor to explore taking Trigonometry and Calculus courses early. However, I was shocked and disheartened by her response. She had told me that I wasn't going to succeed and ought not to take on more math courses, suggesting that I consider an alternative career path in business.

With my self-esteem already low, I didn't tell my mother what had transpired until years later. Looking back, I realize that had my self-esteem been higher, I would have been infuriated by the counselor's words and immediately sought out my mother's council. She would have given me the confidence I needed, encouraged me to pursue my dreams, and gone to the school the next day to advocate on my behalf. Even now, at sixty years old, I regret not sharing this experience with my mother. However, I now know that it's never too late to revisit old aspirations, whether through taking courses or exploring new hobbies to feed my interest in Architecture.

I'm currently looking for introduction to architecure courses that I can take in the evenings at a small college. Then additional evening courses.  I haven't figured out how to make a living while taking all the necessary courses, but I'll take it one course at a time.  Wish me luck!  
 



follow me @ https://soultight.blogspot.com/


No comments: