04 August 2009

I'm in the world




I wonder what my friends will say (those who believe the cops are our friends and have a reason for doing what they do)
when I tell them I was stopped again tonight, at 11:30 on my way back from the store
and accused of driving too carefully, which, I’m told , raises suspicions: it tends to mean one might have something to hide.
I wonder what my friends will say (those who believe the cops are our friends and have a reason for doing what they do)
when I tell them that no amount of my respect towards them would stop them (at least in their late 20s) from calling me boy, even though my drivers license contains my first and last name. And I wonder what my friends will say (those who believe the cops are our friends and have a reason for doing what they do) when I tell them that while one cop went back to his car with my drivers license to check my records while his partner asked “are you out this late because you don’t have a job to go to in the morning?” before asking to see what was inside the paper bag in the passenger seat:
Contents:
8 lb bag of cat food
Carton of fat free milk
Container of butter
2 containers of yogurt
Package of hot dog buns
Batteries /I wonder what my friends will say (
those who believe
the cops are our friends and have a reason for doing what they do) when I tell them the cops said they couldn’t understand why I waited until late at night to get groceries when I have all day to get them and while I wanted to say that I didn’t know black people had a curfew but I didn’t, I just stated that “ I didn’t remember I needed these items until now.”
And I wonder what my friends will say (those who believe the cops are our friends and have a reason for doing what they do) when I tell them the cop gave me back my drivers license and told me to go straight home. Which I did.
I wonder what my friends will say
Now.

No comments: