28 August 2009

Some things change, and some things remain the same.


I love honesty.

I love this picture of my sister and myself. It's really symbolic.
It was Easter. The personalities reflected in this picture holds as true today as it did back then. I was known as the referee, the comforter, the peacemaker, the child that never argued. I used to love when my mom told me I was a good boy and I did everything in my power to make sure she knew I was good. In observing her, I knew she had enough going on, with working a full-time job and a part-time job to keep a roof over our heads. I even helped my mother take care of my sister and myself by babysitting us, feeding us, and putting us to bed while my mother worked as my father slept off a bottle of muscatel in the living room.

I think, as I grew up, I wished I was more like my sister, in that she always spoke, and still does speak, her mind, at all times. She doesn’t care about people’s opinions. There is never any doubt. I’ve always been the peacemaker. I still am, and at my age, I just can’t all of a sudden start speaking my mind. Since it’s not expected of me, everyone would be taken aback. I do speak my mind, but only if I absolutely have to do so.

No comments: