20 August 2009

Under Construction



This house is not complete… it’s a long way from being complete, but first, the foundation needed to built, then the walls. The walls need to be tall enough and strong enough to withstand the harsh elements outside ( the wind, cold in the winter, heat in the summer, rain etc), and to help keep it on it’s foundation no matter how strong the thunder or the heavy wind (or tornadoes or hurricanes). To do that, not just any kind of wood or metal will do. Construction workers use the most durable wood and metal products available. After the walls are built and reinforced and tested, the roof needs to be just as strong, and for the same reason. After the walls and roof is stable, then it’s time to work on the inside.

I feel like this house.

I am a loooooooooooong way from being complete. My mother is my foundation, having raised me on Christianity; teaching me to treat people the way I like to be treated, to love and respect the elderly, and to give cheerfully of my heart without expecting anything in return. I would say the walls is love of self, and my ability to not sway to outside forces or peer pressure (the way weeping willows sway with the wind), and doing what I feel is right even if it’s not popular. The roof is my brain. I want to learn everything there is to know about everything so that I can be an informed person. The inside… my heart. My soul.

Like this house, I’m still under construction, and I’m a loooooooooong way from being complete.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the analogy! I was wondering where you were going with the description of building the house, but it makes perfect sense!

Renaissance Man said...

Hearth and heart are very similar. The warmth comes from our fire, passion, and even the mundane act of preparing a meal where the "family" breaks bread together.