20 January 2012

Black Indie Filmmaker Pens Letter to Lucas

George Lucas' recent comments about the difficulty of securing funding for Red Tails -- the movie headline-grabbing movie released this week that chronicles the groundbreaking achievements of the Tuskegee Airmen -- have plenty of African Americans rushing to buy tickets to prove Hollywood naysayers wrong.

It seems the black film community is on the edge of its seat, too. The African-American creator of After the Storm, an independent film about Post-Katrina New Orleans, has penned an open letter thanking Lucas for his honesty about the racial issues that surrounded the production of Red Tails. He pledges the support of "our country’s unheralded brigade of black actors, writers and filmmakers" to step forward and support the project.
Read a few excerpts here:
Mr. Lucas, I must tell you that your recent comments on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart are greatly appreciated. It was a brave and bold stance that was likely motivated by years of frustration. It is clear that you have experienced an unfortunate journey that all too many African-American filmmakers have had to contend with for decades.
Making movies is exceedingly difficult regardless of the ethnicity of those in front of or behind the camera. Unfortunately, these obstacles are magnified when the primary collaborators of a project happen to be black. As you mentioned, no matter how compelling these stories may be, many of these films are tagged as “not marketable” before they even get to see the light of day. Sadly, it is a constant struggle for black storytellers to overcome the fallacy that black films are simply a collection of ultra-niche, second-rate fodder.
That is why we, the black film community, are ready to step forward and show everyone what we are capable of . . .
Regardless of how many tickets are sold at the box office in the next few days, I believe that one simple truth will remain . . .

 
Red Tails will fly high.

Sincerely,

Colen C. Wiley – Writer
Director
Producer, After the Storm

--courtesy, the root.com

So, where will you be watching Red Tails this opening weekend?   I'm watching it tonight. By the time my short stories are made into movies, I want to be sure there's a market for them/that hollywood will think of black action films as profitable.

3 comments:

Gorgeous_Puddin said...

I went to see it last Sunday. I want to know your thoughts on it please. Thanks! I can always count on you to have a post I want to talk about. :)

Daij said...

Most of it I liked. The dialog at the beginning seemed forced, however there's something about seeing people on the screen that shares my skin tone that makes me proud, and that it wasn't a formulaic Tyler Perry type of movie. All I could think about, when watching the movie was, one day Hollywood won't hesitate to distribute black action dramas. The guy, Lightning, I knew he was going to die right b4 his marriage. My theater was packed with white folks- I was glad white folks wanted to see it as much as I did. I hear that Tyler Perry even asked his fans to watch this movie. Now I think highly of him.

Gorgeous_Puddin said...

I agree the dialogue at the beginning was forced, but as I got into it I managed to overlook that and some of the acting. What was funny is it didn't register to me that this was a war movie until I was watching the film lol. I normally don't watch war films but I had to show my support for this film, and I'm glad I did. The audience I watched with enhanced my experience by cheering and clapping. I left the theater with such a sense of pride! :)