17 January 2012

'Red Tails' Travails Highlight Hollywood's Racism

George Lucas put Hollywood on blast during an interview with Daily Show host Jon Stewart about his struggle to find a distributor for his latest work, Red Tails.The Hollywood veteran did not bite his tongue while explaining why he had such a tough time, Mediabistro reports:
”It’s because it’s an all-black movie. There’s no major white roles in it at all. It’s one of the first all-black action pictures ever made.
Lucas spent 23 years making the film, which is based on the true story of a crew of African American pilots who fought in World War II and helped start the civil rights movement. “I financed it myself. I figured I could get the prints and ads paid for by the studios and that they would release it,” he explained to Stewart. “And I showed it to all of them, and they said, ‘Noooo. We don’t know how to market a movie like this.’ It’s not green enough.” And by green, Lucas means profitable.

I'm only one person, but I want to do my part to encourage Hollywood to put out more black movies, so I will be at Regal Pioneer Place Stadium  Theatre, watching it, opening weekend. Where will you be seeing it, open weekend?


3 comments:

Reggie said...

I wish I could say I was surprised at the struggles that George Lucas encountered trying to make this movie.

I'm very happy he made it though and I've been waiting awhile to see this one.

I don't know if I've ever told you, but my father received his commission at Tuskegee. I keep meaning to blog that, maybe now I will.

25champ said...

I'm looking 4wd 2 seeing it myself ..

Daij said...

Reggie, I think you should do a blog about it. If you ever have any sons or grandsons or nephews, what a wonderful story to tell them.
I know my nephew likes hearing about black historians and about things we are able to do because a black person paved the way.