29 June 2010


"A DRUNK MAN`S WORDS ARE A SOBER MAN`S THOUGHTS."
 - UNKNOWN

I don't like the N word, and everyone I knew back in Wisconsin knew I didn't like that word. So, I was surprised when a really close caucasian friend of mine uttered it. The defense he used was that he was drunk, so drunk he couldn't remember my name.  I was helping him get in a cab that the bar tender called for him. He was so drunk he could hardly stand. When I gave the cab driver his address, my friend said:
"Nnnnnigger, you're good friend. You a gggggoood fffffriend,mmmm nnnnigger. Ooops i shhhhouldn't have said that. BBBBBye !" Then the cab driver took off. 

I informed him the day after, what he had said. He seemed to be at first, in disbelief, then  sincerely remorseful and he profusely apologized. I forgave him but I hadn't forgotten. Since I know what he really thought  but wouldn't dare say to my face when he was sober. 

That was fifteen years ago, And no, we're not friends any more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah right. I'm sorry but he knew what he said and he meant it when he said it. People never cease to amaze me...

Daij said...

true dat