29 June 2010

Office Politics, circa 1995

Back in the 90s I knew how to get people converging in a coworker’s cubicle behind me to stop talking about ‘last night’s episodes of Friends, Seinfeld, and Cheers’ every single Friday morning, to get back to work when the 2 or 3 people who grow to about 6, simply by asking a question that I already knew the answer:


“Hey did anyone see Martin, or Living Single, or New York Undercover last night?”

Suddenly there was silence, and then blank faces in my direction, then to each other, then  the huddle would disperse.
I knew they didn’t watch those shows, but I liked the look of discomfort on their faces. I was told by one of my ‘well-meaning’ coworkers during another conversation at the time, that she couldn’t relate to them.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol @ this post. "how to make white people uncomfortable 101"

Daij said...

I love doing it!

Gorgeous_Puddin said...

That was funny! I have to remember that one. Probably wouldn't work now. 1st prob no black shows 2nd prob white people are so down now they might say yeah I saw it. LOL!

Daij said...

True about the no black shows.