27 July 2010

I saw the strangest thing yesterday. Perhaps it's not strange after all. Perhaps it's just me and my issues.  Perhaps I'm not trusting of people, or perhaps I'm too protective of the people I love, but I saw what one would only expect to see in Holland: something that I would never ever do. -and I say that because on one episode of Oprah she was in Holland, and she saw, outside of a yoga studio, 5 babies in strollers. By themselves. They were deposited there by their mothers who were inside, practicing yoga.

Maybe because I grew up in New York City and Racine, Wisconsin, where the only reason you would leave your baby outside in a stroller was because you didn't want them anymore--I would not have expected to see that in the States, but sure enough, I did.

At the crowded New Seasons store ( the competitor to Whole Foods) in SouthEast Portland, I saw 2 babies in strollers, right outside the escalator doors. People were entering and leaving, and I seemed to be the only one who thought it was strange. Is it me or is Portland ( or SouthEast Portland ) a different kind of city?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I would leave my child alone and especially outside where she can be taken away!

I guess people there really trust the people.

Daij said...

yeah, I was really taken aback by it!

Gorgeous_Puddin said...

Definitely different! That is so scary to me.