11 April 2012

Zimmerman to be charged in Trayvon Martin case

The office of a Florida special prosecutor who is investigating the Trayvon Martin shooting plans to announce new information in the case at 6 p.m. ET Wednesday.



Earlier, a senior law enforcement source familiar with the Martin death investigation told CNN said that George Zimmerman would be charged.
Police say Zimmerman fatally shot Martin, a 17-year-old African-American, on February 26 in Sanford, Florida, after Martin began walking home from a convenience store. Zimmerman, who is Hispanic and was a neighborhood watch volunteer, had called 911 to complain about a suspicious person in the neighborhood. He was released without charges after claiming self-defense, but the case was referred to a special prosecutor as thousands converged on Sanford to join in protests calling for Zimmerman's arrest.
The following are running updates on the story:


[Updated at 4:55 p.m. ET] Florida Gov. Rick Scott has released a statement ahead of the special prosecutor's news conference:
"We are fortunate in our state that most Floridians and local civic leaders are law-abiding, responsible citizens who all want justice to prevail. No matter what State Attorney (Angela) Corey determines following her investigation of the Trayvon Martin tragedy, I trust in the goodness of all Florida citizens to allow our justice system to reach an appropriate conclusion in this case."
[Updated at 3:34 p.m. ET] The parents of Trayvon Martin plan to hold a news conference after the special prosecutor makes her announcement.
Martin's parents, Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton, will be accompanied by their attorneys and the Rev. Al Sharpton in Washington, D.C., where the parents have been visiting a conference held by Sharpton's National Action Network.
[Updated at 3:07 p.m. ET] Many people in Sanford, Florida and around the world have been captivated by the Trayvon Martin case and have lent their support to Martin's family.
Upon hearing the news that special prosecutor Angela Corey was holding a press conference today to update the media, Martin's mother Sybrina Fulton tweeted that the case was in God's hands now.

--courtesy cnn.com

I pray that what's in the dark will come to light, and that truth and justice prevails. I pray that this case sets a precedent, that those guilty of killing black boys because they looked suspicious are punished as severely as the law allows, and that there will never be another Trayvon Martin situation.
There have been many Trayvon Martin situations in the past, some present, and I know there will be others.

I pray for my nephew who now feels there's a target on his forehead,  his heart, and his back every time he leaves his home, and I can't think of a single thing to say to convince him otherwise when I feel the same way myself.  
I refuse to post a pic of zimmerman on my blog. As a father/uncle/Godfather, I would want the world to remember my child.

2 comments:

Don said...

Wondering if a conviction will follow....

Gorgeous_Puddin said...

I should have been stopped by here to discuss this with you...

I'm so very happy an arrest was FINALLY made. My heart was so grieved by Trayvon's murder!

I kept #justicefortrayvonmartin going on Twitter and stayed vigilant about getting the word out about what happened to him to people who didn't know. We still have a ways to go to a conviction but I'm pleased with the progress.

America needs to know they can't just continue to kill black men a get away with it!