30 December 2010

my coming of age

TEENA MARIE
This entry was inspired by a comment  fellow blogger Moanerplicity made on my blog regarding Lady T’s death, so I give credit to him for the idea…

DIANA ROSS
My coming of age Soundtrack would include the following:
Teena Marie
Rick James
Prince
Diana Ross
Thelma Houston
Cheryl Lynn
GEORGE CLINTON
Teddy Pendergrass
THE BROTHERS JOHNSON
DONNA SUMMER
Luther Vandross
Natalie Cole
Peabo Bryson
Stephanie Mills
The Jackson 5
The Sylvers
Stevie Wonder
Switch
Marvin Gaye
MINNIE RIPPERTON

THE DOOBIE BROTHERS
PEABO BRYSON
PRINCE
Phyllis Hyman                                                                                      
THE JACKSON 5
THE SYLVERS
CHERYL LYNN
Dionne Warwicke                                  
Aretha Franklin
Labelle (not just Patti- the whole group)
Tina Turner
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
SUGAR HILL GANG
Al Green                                                         
Parliament/Funkadelic
MILES DAVIS
JOHN COLTRANE
Bootsy Collins                                         
ROBERTA FLACK
Chic
Sugar Hill Gang
Kurtis Blow
The Ohio Players
Minnie Ripperton
Shalamar
Commodores
Kool Moe Dee
Roberta Flack
L L Cool J
Smokey Robinson
Quincy Jones
The Brother's Johnson
George Benson
Donna Summer
Hall & Oates
John Waite
The Doobie Brothers
Elton John
Chicago
Foreigner
Public Enemy
Journey
Skyy
Brass Construction


I remember when I used to get an allowance. Most kids would spend their money on candy or some toy, but I used to buy records- 45s they were called, and vinyl albums, then 8 track tapes, then cassettes. Yeah, I'm  old enough to remember buying Chic's Risque  on 8 track and playing 'Good Times' over and over, and buying the 8 Track of Diana Ross'  'Diana', and playing 'Upside Down' repeatedly.  The same with Minnie. I used to play her song 'Lover and Friend'; until my sister got sick of it and hid the 8 track tape from me.
During my high school and college recitals I sang Peabo Bryson and Luther Vandross songs. I remember my first job where I had to put price tags on canned goods, and listening to this new group called the Sugar Hill Gang, and falling in love with that Chic song Good Times all over again. I also remember the first song I had -- (fill in the blanks) to: Diana Ross & Lionel Richie's 'Endless Love.'  

 Who is in your coming of age Soundtrack?



1 comment:

Moanerplicity said...

From reading this extended list, methinks we've led similar musical lives.


I would give the most props to people like:

Stevie Wonder
Curtis Mayfield
Donny Hathaway
Roberta Flack
Barry White
The Jacksons
Michael Jackson
Voices OF East Harlem
Syreeta Wright
Stephanie Mills
Melba Moore
Niles & Bernard
Edwin Birdsong
Labelle
Rufus
War
Mandrill
Rickie Lee Jones
Joni Mitchell
(early) Prince
John Coltrane
The Crusaders
Quincy Jones
Minnie Riperton
Nancy Wilson
George Benson
Teena Marie
Rick James
Grace Jones
The Spinners
The Police
Santana


Those are the ones that come to mind... but I'm sure that's only a partial list.


One.