06 August 2010

the saddest thing

i was at  mcdonalds, at the counter yesterday morning, ready to place my order when I felt my dress pants being tugged or pulled at gently, at the thigh. I looked down to see this little boy who needed to get my attention.  He was perhaps 3 or 4 years old, and wearing an Oregon Ducks t shirt and jeans. Light complexioned, he had  freckles, sandy blonde curly hair and green eyes.  I guessed that he was mixed. And he looked as if God had given him the best present of all.  I looked behind me and saw a white, blonde green-eyed woman, perhaps in her early 30s, who had grabbed him after he spoke to me, saying:

                                "Daddy? Are you my daddy?"
 My heart was breaking.
As I smiled at the boy, I told him, "no I'm not. I'm sorry."
His mother said :   "I'm sorry sir. My son's dad  hasn't been in his life or my own since I was pregnant with him. I've showed him pictures of his dad . He's thick, and clean-shaven like you. Every time he sees a black man that fits that description,  he thinks it might be his daddy."

That was the saddest thing I've heard all week.

6 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

'"Daddy? Are you my daddy?"
My heart was breaking.
As I smiled at the boy, I told him, "no I'm not. I'm sorry."
His mother said : "I'm sorry sir. My son's dad hasn't been in his life or my own since I was pregnant with him. I've showed him pictures of his dad . He's thick, and clean-shaven like you. Every time he sees a black man that fits that description, he thinks it might be his daddy."

That was the saddest thing I've heard all week.'

Thanks, Daij,

Lord, I pray you will have mercy on this child and mother and help them find a godly man as father, and most of all know the true God in strength.

Daij said...

Amen, Russ, Amen.

Val said...

Wow, that poor kid. I hope his dad comes around soon.

Daij said...

yeah, i hope so too

Gorgeous_Puddin said...

This made me tear up. Poor baby! That is the saddest thing I've heard. I hope his dad gets some act right, or a wonderful man comes into both their lives.

Daij said...

yeah, me too