21 May 2010

Good is the Enemy of Great


                                             Success is a journey, not a destination. -Arthur Ashe

About 20 years ago,  I had read  a book that explained how to give the best interviews. Beyond the obvious- how to dress, having good hygiene, eye contact, and posture, it asked a series of questions. It gave a listing of answers and the author's opinions of each answer.  There were 2 questions in the book that, though, of which I have never been asked, they have always stuck with me. I was always prepared to give the correct answer:          

  • If you were a tree, then what kind of tree would you be? My answer (the book’s answer) was, “I’d be an Oak tree, because an oak tree is strong, durable and can withstand a lot more the other trees, without bending or breaking.”
  • On a scale of one to ten what would you rate yourself? My answer ( the book’s answer) was,” I would rate myself an 8. No one should ever profess to know everything there is to know about their chosen profession or any subject. There is always something new to learn, and I’m eager to learn as much as possible.”
        When I came across the title of this blog, Good is the enemy of Great, I was reminded of the Michael Jordans, the Williams Sisters, the Tiger Woods, the Michael Phelps, the Usain Bolts, the Luciano Pavorattis, and the Mahalia Jacksons, the Langston Hugheses, the  John Coltranes, and the Miles Davises of the world. They aren't just good in their  fields. They are the best (some perhaps just in my opinion). It's not enough to be good. That should never be our goals. I know that as much as I love my job, my eventual goal is to go as high as I possibly can within the company.
          My nephew, for example, is currently making C grades. Being complacent, he's satisfied with that because he said he's passing. But I know than he can do better. Good is the enemy of great. He may not be able to get A grades, but a C should never ever be his goal. 

Good is the enemy of great.



No comments: