25 May 2010

My worst/best

“If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

                                               --Marilyn Monroe


This right here, is what a great relationship is about, to me. Like when wedding vows are made, and the pastor says, in good times and bad. Because there will be bad times.

It’s easy to stay together when everything is all perfect, when the sun is shining, and there is true happiness and fun and laughter, but the true test is will you stay with me through the storms? When I’m at my lowest and it would be so easy for you to walk away, can I depend on you to be by my side or will you fall off when things go bad?
I recently watched the Common & Queen Latifah flick, Just Wright. Common’s character Scott McKnight was a successful basketball player and Queen Latifah’s Leslie Wright was a physical therapist. Scott started dating her cousin Morgan Alexander, played by Paula Patton. Morgan was obviously seeing dollar signs, and Scott fell in love with her and had announced their engagement. Shortly before the wedding, he suffered a serious injury just before the renewing of his new contract. When everything was against him ever playing again, Morgan dropped him like it was hot.
Of course, she came back to him once Leslie  helped get him back up on his feet and playing basketball again. And yes, he took her back, but in the end, he realized he wouldn’t be where he was without Leslie Wright.
That quote comes to mind...Leslie had seen him at his worst and stood by his side and never left. She deserved him at his best.

2 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

'“If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

--Marilyn Monroe'

But from a Christian perspective, in relationships, one should want to minimize the worst and maximize the best.

'Like when wedding vows are made, and the pastor says, in good times and bad. Because there will be bad times.'

Reasonable.

Hope you are well.:)

Daij said...

Thanks, hopr you're well too