18 February 2010

Panic Attack!

My mother told me that as soon as my youngest sister ( who just started high school this past Fall) graduated from high school and move out and go to college in Madison Wisconsin, that she would sell her house and move here to Oregon.
I love my mom, of course, but that’s the last thing I want! I knew I couldn’t outright say ‘no, don’t move here,’ so I said the one thing that she would appreciate, and would make her change her mind immediately;

“Ma, just so you know, unless I go to church on Sunday or go to the barbershop, I only see about 5 black people in an entire week. The same 5 black people.”

Her response; “ OhMyGod! Really? OhMyGod, I can’t move there! I don’t know how you do it. I am staying right here in Wisconsin!”

I was relieved to hear that: my mom’s church is predominately latino, but the rest of my mom’s world is mostly black- from her beauty salon, to the grocery store, to the gas station- even the children in her day care are all black and latino. The only white folks she sees work at Walmart or at her favorite pizza place on the other side of town, or my sister’s best friend, and her mom.

No comments: