03 November 2010

The bottom of the lowest part


I’m not going to talk about the  changed political landscape, or the largest turnover in the House since World War 2, or the Teabaggers and other Repug's need 'to right a wrong' (we all know what they consider wrong). Oh, but I will.  At the  Oregon Convention Center,  President Barack H. Obama said:  "After they drove the car into the ditch, they made it as difficult as possible for us to pull it back,  and now as we're slowly but surely pulling the car out, keeping in mind that it's badly dented and may need a tune up--now they're tapping on our shoulders, wanting the keys back. No! You can’t drive! We don’t want to have to go back into the ditch. We just got the car out!"  
Using that same analogy, the voters seem united in their anger and frustration but divided in what the prescription is and what to do about it, except for changing 'change', so, for the most part, they decided they're going to push the car halfway back in the ditch,  disabling the engine, and taking out the transmission and putting it in backwards, removing the starter and alternator, removing the battery and putting it back in, upside down,  while wanting the car out of the ditch shiny and new and running  in perfect condition. 
We will soon learn the definition of true gridlock.
 I predict, that since they'll be working against the President  rather then  working with him, the car will be  not just in the ditch but heading toward the bottom of the lowest part, underneath mud and slime.
 It may not be as simple as that, but I’m disappointed, but I’m not going to talk about the  changed political landscape. the biggest gain in the party since 1938, or the Teabaggers and other Repug's need 'to right a wrong.' I'll just focus on the fact that every local candidate here that I voted for, won their seats. And as I write this, the Governor's race is still too close to call.  
I texted all my friends on monday and yesterday morning, asking them if they voted. All but one said 'of course I voted.' The one friend who didn't vote said 'why bother? My one vote isn't going to affect anything.'   That response made me more angry than anything has made me, recently. Alot of people feel that way. When he said that I was reminded of the Quebec Secession Referendum in 1995. My grandfather, a proud French Canadien, was a staunch supporter of Quebec being their own country. The vote was 50.58% no and 49.42% yes. They lost by a little over 1%.   Every single vote counts. Every single vote counts. Every single vote counts. Every single vote counts.
sorry, I'm venting

3 comments:

Wonder Man said...

we will prevail

Daij said...

I hope and pray. I would like for the legacy of our first black president to be something we can look back in our old age, and smile.

Mizrepresent said...

No matter what is being said, i think that we can look back at this time and admire, yes i said admire a President who was trying to do the right thing, even when the right thing wasn't widely accepted by the nation.