07 November 2010

I saw it

 The movie "For Colored Girls,
and in my opinion? It is clear that Tyler Perry took on this project with the best intentions to make this something to be proud of.  Based on his history of  broad comedies and thin dramas I doubted  he could carry the dramatic heft of  this film, an ambitious adaptation of Ntozake Shange’s acclaimed play “For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When The Rainbow is Enuf,” but I think he succeeded. 
I'll go so far as to say that I liked it so much that it was almost as if he had no creative input in the movie at all.  If Kimberly Elise or Anika Noni Rose doesn't at least get Oscar nominations for their roles, then something is definitely wrong.   But that's just my opinion. I think I was the only male in the packed theater that looked like he wasn't forced to go see it (who knew there were more than 5 black people in Oregon?  They only come out of hiding to see a Tyler Perry movie or church on sundays), but I enjoyed it nevertheless. All the women stood up and applauded at the end.

11 comments:

JT said...

I enjoy Tyler Perry movies. I believe he could do a good job with any type movie.

Daij said...

it was quite enjoyable.

Wonder Man said...

I will check it out

Don said...

Elise & Whoopi Goldberg & Thandie Newton were excellent in the film, although it lost me at the women's center.

I am looking forward to reading the book. Everyone says that I should read the book, then I will better understand.

jae october said...

Daij, I thought he did a great job adapted the play to the big screen. It seems that people are to hung up on his previous films to give this movie an open minded review which results into a lot of bandwagon bashing.

Val said...

Lmao@"who knew there were more than 5 Black people in Oregon"

When I was in Portland I saw a few Black people. But I didn't go to what I heard was the Black section of town.

Reggie said...

So far I'm good. I haven't received notice yet that I will be going to see this one. I'm hoping that it flies under the Mrs's radar.

I still haven't recovered from that "Waiting to exhale" bullshit or that "Color Purple" nonsense I got put on notice for. I've got a plan this time. Every time one of her friends or her sister calls the house, I hang up on them or tell them she died.

Daij said...

yeah @don, i saw the play when I was a kid (my aunt dragged me to see it) so i didn't pay attention at the time, but I liked the movie. I'm done with the male bashing though. Hill Harper did play that one good black man character that seems to be in all of his movies.
@ Reggie, u'r efunny!
@Val, there's gotta be more! I can cut my own hair, but I go to barbershops in the black section of town just to be around my people!

Moanerplicity said...

lol @ Reggie's reply. He's dark, yo! lol.

Saw it. Liked much of it. The actresses were uniformly fiYAH (especially Anika Noni Rose)! Took particular issue w/ T.P.'s creation of new brand black male demons who were solely HIS creation & not that of Ms. Shange's.

It's his best film to date. If he ever loses some of his own personal demons & quits the stereotyping, he might just make a GREAT film some day.

One.

Daij said...

@Moanerplicity, you're on point, as usual.

Gorgeous_Puddin said...

I finally saw it yesterday. I did a post about it check it out!