25 November 2010

On being thankful



My life hasn't been perfect. It hasn't gone the way I have dreamed, but it could be worse-a whole lot worse, and I am grateful for what I have.  I'm here. God has been so good to me. I have a lot: A great family. I have a God daughter who loves me and likes to draw pictures for me. I have a nephew whose face lights up when he sees me. I have a great mom who brags to every one she sees and knows, about how good I am to her. I have  the bestest of best friends in my friend Steve. I have lots of close friends (lots of fairweather friends too, but I don't count them).  I have a great job, and I'm even proud of  the company I work for.It's so rare, these days to have both a job, and a job that you love. I'm grateful for my late grandfather. He was the man, my father image. He taught me how to treat women. I watched how he related to my mother. I watched how my mother related to him. Until he passed away about 10 years ago, I never once heard her disrespect him. I never even heard her speak up when he was wrong unless it was really important. She didn't just tell me to respect my elders, she was practicing what she preached. She still does.  Perhaps I'm biased;  you all know the story-my mom  adopted me when I was 11 months old . She said that no one wanted me, but she did. For that I am grateful. Imagine, feeling worthless and knowing that someone loves you.
I digress.

Two nights ago my lemon of a car broke down, forcing me to walk  about 10 blocks to the closest bus stop to go to work, and I complained to myself about having to walk, until I saw, across the street, a man in a wheel chair, wheeling himself to the same bus stop. I had to stop myself and thank God for my being to walk. I have so much to be grateful for.

What are you thankful for?

4 comments:

Reggie said...

We all have something to be thankful for and it's best that we sit back at some time and appreciate what we do have. Some of the most miserable people that I know sit back and reflect on what's wrong with their lives constantly and that just doesn't make sense to me.

During the holiday season, we all should sit back and put some serious thought into what we have to be thankful for.

Daij said...

@ reggie, you're right about that.

Wonder Man said...

life

Daij said...

good response. I'm thankful for love too