30 March 2010

Friends

At your worst, lowest point (and we all have them sometimes), are the people with whom you spend quality time , those that will come to your aid, should you need them? Honestly? Think about it. If you can answer no, then why are you hanging out with them?-- alexgeorge

I had a friend once, when I lived in Madison Wisconsin, about 20 years  ago. His name was Paul. I thought he was good people. His girlfriend and my girlfriend were friends.  The 4 of us hung out alot. When he and his girlfriend broke up, he moved to Chicago. A year after their breakup, I went to San Diego, and the flight was cancelled because of blizzards in the midwest, and I had taken a bus to Chicago to catch the flight. It was the last bus of the night  at 9 pm, and the first bus would be at 8 am that next morning. The bus depot would close at 10pm, and everybody would have to leave the premises.  I called my friend Paul and informed him I was in town and asked if he could come pick me up and let me crash on his sofa for the night.
His response?

  "I'm not in the mood for company."
Me: Paul, I'm stranded. The bus depot is closing at 10. I can't get home until the morning.
Paul: I don't want to be bothered with anyone.
Me: But Paul, this is Alieux, and I'm stranded. You're the only one I know in the Chicago, and you don't live far from the depot.
Paul: You don't know anyone else here?
Me: You know I don't. Come on, Paul, with all the many many favors I did for you. Are you going to leave me stranded here outside here in Chicago in the cold?
Paul: Sorry, but I'm not in the mood for company. I'm sure you can afford a hotel somewhere.

Well, as they say, hindsight is always 20/20.

A  year later he moved back to Madison and he called me for a  personal reference for a job at the company where I was working. I   gladly gave him permission to use my name.

 Guess what kind of reference I gave for him when his potential boss called me in her office?

No comments: